Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Thursday, 27 August 2015

Reading Slumps Provoke Writer’s Block?! ...THISISRIDICULOUS


This week’s post is literally gonna be like three paragraphs long. I’m exhausted and a little stressed out. It feels like every three months I’m having to contact my university about something and it seems as though, again, I am switching courses. As it’s September in a couple of days, I kindaaa need to have it wrapped up quickly. Only replace ‘kinda’ with ‘SERIOUSLY’, and add in some little anguished emoticons that represent me lying on the floor bawling.

Hey, I might as well share something I suddenly realised last night, about why I haven’t been able to write for months. Aside from being pushed for time that is. I’m certain it’s because I haven’t been reading. At first I thought, ‘Nahh that’s dumb’, but now I’m convinced. When I read the work of others, I feel inspired and motivated to complete my own work. I remember all of the things I wanted to say and share in my creations. I’m slowly realising that without that drive, the way I approach writing my novel is completely different, almost like a chore. I really feel like something’s wrong with me when my endless well of creativity seems to just... disappear.

Since I finished reading The School for Good and Evil: The Last Ever After last week, my novel’s popped back up in my head and I’ve been turning it over and over in my mind, trying to figure out where I ran it into a ditch. I’m still struggling with the motivation to read, but I’m not to fussed about it right now. I honestly have a hundred other things to be worrying about, like what I’m going to have for lunch tomorrow.



Ashana Lian .

P.S. I like my old long posts, but short posts are such a relief right now :3

2 comments:

  1. Hm, I think this could be the case. I actually tend to go through different cycles of writing and reading and blogging and other elements of my typical activities, but I think it makes sense. If you're not immersed in the creative world, then you can forget to jump back in. I hope that your reading and writing life improves as you keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Heatheeeer :3
      I go through cycles too. Although right now I feel like each of my creative activities are tugging at one another to be more important instead of finding a comfortable routine in my life. I'd thought not being at uni would help that, but now... *shrug* who knows?

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts