This awesome meme for novel writers has come back with Round 2, to update their potential readers about their progress since NaNoWriMo started! To join in, follow either link below, answer the questions, add your link, and support those who added theirs. I got a bit bogged down because I got through about 15, I think... then when I came back there was FORTY-FIVE e_e sorry I didn't get round to everyone!
Beautiful Books is hosted by Cait at The Notebook Sisters and Sky at Further Up and Further In.
I'm answering these questions for my novel OOTD/Karalan's Legacy (working title)
1. Be honest: how is your writing going?
I want to cry.
Due to unforeseen personal problems, I (metaphorically) fell down about two days ago and haven't yet got back up (story of my life). Before that I was doing fine.
2. What’s your first sentence/paragraph?
A bloodcurdling, agonised scream tore through every atom within the four walls where it sounded: from writhing on a mattress covered with a sheet of dust, the corpse sat up.
Aw, the first thing I wrote. c: I don't like it anymore though, I'm gonna change it.
3. Do you have a book cover, and/or pictures that reflect your book?
No, because fantasy portraits depicting women of colour are already far and few between, so finding one that meets my specific needs is even harder. The plan is to become a Master Illustrator and draw it myself. =D
4. Do you have pictures of each of your characters? If not, describe them for us! (Be as descriptive as you can.)
Karalan: Constant scowl and black eyes makes her face aggressive. Tall and wiry, she almost reaches the height of her towering brothers. Training in the fighting arts has made her athletic and she prefers to wear close fitting trousers (demis) and a vest (usually in black) for fighting efficiency. Coarse black hair reaches her shoulders. Er... light brown skin? The skin colour part throws me, I never know how I should describe it. Looks Kinda Like This
Jory: Again a tall one. Older Jory has a reserved and calm expression, similar to Karalan's father. Short brown hair, wears reliable and long lasting clothes and boots, always in a dark colour.
Cassie: Vibrant and often with a mischievous or slightly flirtatious smile. Long term partner of Jory and is unwaveringly faithful to him. Short red hair that almost reaches her shoulders, heavy freckles on her cheeks, and fair skin. Often wears leather boots, vest and trousers. Medium height. Adores children. Looks Kinda Like This
Dim: Skin so pale, it has a purple tinge. Pale blond hair and always the expression of delight or glee. Shorter than Cassie but not necessary "short". Long thin fingers that are always fiddling with things. Wide, inquisitive eyes to go with his annoying questions or unneeded remarks about people.
Prince Of Pearls: ..I'm sorry, we have to stop now. I don't even know where to BEGIN describing this guy.
5. What scene are you most excited to write?
(Didn't this question appear in the last BB meme??! *checks* Okay no my bad.) The scene I've been most excited to write, I wrote them ages ago. They include:
- Karalan and Hannaway's trip to the metropolis, and fighting in the Tournament
- the attack of the Veethe in Littleling, the Fairi haven, and Karalan defending both the Fairi Princess and Saffron the Maia
- the scenes with the Duke of Spirihil (paranoid bastard)
- pretty much all the scenes of Prince and Karalan's friendship
- the scene with Karalan before the Divine Court in Angel Harbour
- most of the Veethe attack scenes, because they are so awesomely terrifying. I've rarely write horror O_O
Chapter Six of this novel → , which I posted in February this year.
7. Now that you're writing, have any of the plot details, or the process itself, turned out different from what you planned or imagined?
I started writing this novel is May 2013 and yes, it's gone OFF the rails. Originally, Karalan was meant to follow in her father footsteps, travel the whole world, and discover his secrets. But then the schmeing Disir came in, plus the motives of other characters, plus Karalan's failing health, and I realised there was no way that could happen.
This story was meant to be about all the amazing things Karalan could do despite her challenges. Instead, it became about all the things she didn't and couldn't do, and the urgency to try so that she wouldn't die without regret.
8. Is there a character or aspect of your plot that's difficult to write?
Aura Earth 101
Welcome to Aura Earth 101, the number one fact guide to AE! On Aura Earth, humans have SIX senses. That's right, SIX, not five. The last sense is the most important because it intensifies love and respect for other human beings. This sixth sense is called STREAMING.
STREAMING allows you to pass on your thoughts, feelings, emotions and memories non-verbally, and in a split second. Because of this, people who are highly trained (like sages) or naturally gifted (like Karalan) can unintentionally pick up non-important or private information from people nearby. Also, it allows intimate relationships to form between people without them being romantic. However, it can also allow the trauma of other people to be subconsciously passed on, and this is what begins Karalan's mental-emotional rollercoaster.
This point is IMPERATIVE for understanding this novel. Literally, if you don't get this point, understanding why people act the way they do might be a challenge. you can still enjoy the awesome fantasy though. =D
9. What’s your favorite aspect of this novel so far? Favorite character?
Too many to choose! Originally, Milete Beyene was my favourite female character, and Hannaway (Karalan's brooding father) was my favourite male character. But now I adore Cassie for her ability to pull people together and add the happy spark to a group of people, and the Prince of Pearls for his constant drive to enjoy life to the fullest and make everyone around him happy, despite all the obstacles he's faced in his life.
My favourite aspect of the novel... is just that it's fantasy. That's it.
10. Have you drawn off of any life experiences or people you know to create your novel and your characters?
I never use people that I know in my stories, ever. But I get inspired by fictional characters or strangers. I was inspired yesterday by this girl that served me in Costa. She has a slight french accent, classic "nerd" glasses, and the coolest cropped hair. XD
Cassie's character was inspired by Alison Pill's portrayal of Kim from the movie Scott Pilgrim versus The World, and Hayley Williams from Paramore. But now I've been writing Cassie for such a while, her character has really blossomed into something much less aggressive and bitchy, and more defensive, argumentative, but ultimately loving.
The great Inspirations I've had over my life continually feed into the novel. But the only other personal aspect I drew on was my struggle with depression. It's really thrown a shade of misery over my life and the thought that one in four people go through this is really heartbreaking.
11. Do you have a playlist or certain song for your novel and/or characters?
YES!!! OMG!! SO GLAD YOU ASKED!!!
You can find it at the bottom of the Inspiration page (OR, I can just tell you =] ) First, whenever I write high fantasy, I never listen to songs with words. For the lighter aspects of the novel, I listen to:
- The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword soundtrack (especially this track)
- music from Avatar: The Legend Of Aang (esp this track)
- sometimes, the Jade Empire soundtrack (this one)
- Japanese traditional music. (this one <3 )
For the darker aspects of the novel, I listen to the Beyond: Two Souls soundtrack. (and this one!)
12. Let’s have some fun for a moment: imagine you are somehow transported into your book’s world. Which character are you most likely to be found hanging out with?
If I was transported to Paradis in Aura Earth, there would really be no time for hanging out XD
I'd be playing with sentinels and flying up to the Towers of Spirihil to see where they meet the sky; I'd go to the temples of Orona Root and meet the sages; and I would WITHOUT A DOUBT pay a visit to the only immortal on earth, guardian of life, the Maia. I lub her.
13. How do you keep yourself motivated to finish your daily wordcount? (Pinterest? Internet breaks? Chocolate?)
... I consider the feeling of shame I'll be consumed with if I don't.
(which is not the ideal way, but it's the way depressed people do things.)
14. What inspiring quote keeps you writing?
I come across amazing writerly quotes all the time but never remember them. So I guess none. Except for the repeating tape in my head that the least I can do before I die is create something that will mean something to someone.
15. How does this book make you feel so far? Are you laughing? Crying? Frustrated?
Click for NaNoWriMo Inspiration
Want a well-rounded plot? The Story Circle
Click for more posts about my novel Karalan's Legacy (OOTD)
Film: Maze Runner
Fantasy Art: Halloween Costumes For Disney Princesses
To read what I write, check out Fiction Fridays!
- Beautiful Books #1: Let's Talk Books,
- Beautiful Books #3: Let's Talk Editing
Thank you for reading, I hope you liked this post! I've been writing posts to help NaNoWriters (links above) and there'll be more to come, so do come back! Happy Thursday. <3
Ashana Lian .