Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Wednesday, 8 October 2014

The Bookshelf Tag

I'm joining in with Charnell's open tag on Reviews From A Bookworm. She wrote "I tag anyone and everyone reading this who feels like doing it. You really should, it's a lot of fun!" I'm looking forward to this one. I haven't thought about how much my book collection has grown this year, and it has grown MASSIVELY. I've bought more books than I've ever bought in my life.

... I won't be doing that shit again! |It SUCKS to be broke, even for books! (Damn. That's what a library is for.) Alright, here we go.


I can't actually fit them all on the makeshift "bookshelf", so at the moment they're 1 on the shelf, 2 on top of the wardrobe, 3 stacked on a chest of drawers. Everywhere, basically.






As you can see, plush toys guard my books when I'm away. (e_e)



The books you can't see are my 97 SUPER HAUL books (whooo!) which are in bags in awkward places in my room, and also my Terry Pratchett set (which I plan to finally read over Christmas). So, the questions.

1. Is there a book that you really want to read but haven't because you know it'll make you cry?

I don't know why, but I think Kindred by Octavia E. Butler is going to make me cry. I've really wanted to read it for ages because it's been recommended again and again, but man I'm nervous.
2. Pick one book that helped introduce you to a new genre.

Fantasy is my literary "home" of sorts, ie. my genre of choice, so let's pick The Kingmaker's Daughter. This book introduced me to Historical Fiction, which is a genre I'd never heard of before let alone read before. I fell in LOVE with that book. The feels, the feels. =O
3. Find a book that you want to reread.

A book I want to reread that I've already read loads of times would be Magician by Raymond E. Feist, which is my favourite fantasy book ever. Ever ever.








4. Is there a book series you read but wish you hadn't?

This one made me pause. I assume I have to have read the whole series... I can think of a few, all for different reasons. Some because (a) they were too good and made me crazy, or (b) they began well and ended badly, or (c) they weren't that great but something kept driving me forward. For the sake of the question I'll omit (a).

I can think of about 3 (b)'s (House Of Night, King Of Hell, Kingdom series by Garth Nix) but the only (c) I can think of was the Twilight series. Like Throne Of Glass, it wasn't point blank awful but it wasn't good enough to made me care about the plot or characters. It didn't add any great insight or positive development as a reader/writer to my life, so for that reason I wish I'd made a start on The Hobbit instead, back when I was 15 with a world of time.

5. If your house were burning down and all your family and pets were safe, which book would you go back in and save?

.... to be honest, I wouldn't save my READING BOOKS; they're replaceable. And frankly if I couldn't save them all I've rather save none, harsh but true. (e_e) I would try to save this little booklet of songs my dearest secondary school friends made for me, along with their handmade memories cards I got for my teen birthdays.

But my number one priority would be my NOTEBOOKS, the most important being my Book Of Ideas. That, I doubt I could ever recreate. All my fantasy novel ideas are in there, over a decades' worth plus plans, maps, symbols, character pans, impromptu insp, doodles, further research fantasy references, and weird fantasy words and names for later use. After that, I would save the rest of my novel planning notebooks and my book of lyrics.

I'm fairly certain I would have passed out from smoke inhalation by this time.


6. Is there one book on your shelf that brings back fond memories?

YES! Confessions Of A Backup Dancer by "Anonymous, as told to by Tucker Shaw". It makes me cringe and 'aww' at the same time.

My friend says that everybody has to have a book that they know (in it's own way) is kinda silly, but because it has nostalgic value and lets you read without the whole upturned nose, fancy prose thing, you have to love it. For her, that book is The It Girl. For me, it's this book.
7. Find a book that has inspired you the most.

I'd have to say Magician by Raymond E. Feist - it's one fo the reasons its my favourite. I read it, I embark on an emotional rollercoaster, but I always end up feeling elated and inspired.

Another book acquired this status very recently; A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin.

8. Do you have any autographed books?

About a year ago, I could only say one. This year I went to loads of fantasy Events in August and got looads of fantasy books signed!! (Nine is a lot for me, okay? =P )

My Ben Aaronovitch book isn't here, my sister's borrowing it... now that I've remembered that, I want it back at once (e_e)


9. Find the book that you've owned the longest?

... woooooooow, I actually had to get up for this one. I think it would have to be The Orchard Book of Fairy Tales. Man I love that book. Haven't read it in years, but still.







10. Is there a book by an author you never imagined you'd read and enjoy?

Hell yeah, The Hunger Games. The synopsis sounded ridiculous to me. I was like, 'I'm sure there are other ways to ensure the obedience of the population without having to spend billions of apocalyptic-america-n dollars to host a game where children die. It's not even sadistic, it's just dumb.' But Suzanne Collins really made me believe in her story. Kudos to thee.


Although every blog I've stumbled across has done this tag (it's that awesome,) I tag anybody who wants to take part in it. Peacee.


Ashana Lian .

6 comments:

  1. YAY! I am so happy that you decided to take part in this tag. It's fun to see your shelves and how you have books stacked everywhere! I used to have to do that, until I finally got to buy new bookshelves. I haven't tried any Feist but a guy at work is constantly recommending his books to me. Haha, you are so right about the Hunger Games but that series is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bookshelf would be so handy!! I just don't know where I'd PUT it. =/ I have a little secret... Magician is actually the only Feist book I've read O_O because I love it so much, I'll admit I'm apprehensive about reading the rest of the trilogy because apparently they're not as amazing as book 1. If my experience is like your was with Allegiant, I'd rather sidestep it!

      Delete
  2. OMG YOU HAVE SUCH BEAUTIFUL BOOKS! I love looking at people's bookshelves...or, you know, makeshift bookshelves. It's just awesome to see what people collect. You are like the fantasy queen though. GO YOU. I'm glad you like The Hunger Games! That makes me insanely happy because it's still one of my top favourite series. ADFJSAKLFSD and all the feels (and anger and tears and all that). It kind of introduced me to YA and, well, I haven't stopped eating YA since. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cait! LOL thanks (I felt like you complimented my baby (book babies)), and I agree! I love this tag because it's cool to see what everybody's interests are. Oh yeahh, The Hunger Games is intensely awesome. There so many admirable things about the series - no wonder it's so hugely loved. It's not in the pictures because my older sister's borrowing them e_e I think it's time to impose a One At A Time rule...

      I can't even remember what introduced me to YA! I want to say Twilight, but there are books I read at the library teen section that are classed as YA now. I don't even know. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Ah I envy your autographed books! Lol, to be honest if there was a fire in my house, the first thing I would think about saving would be myself.

    Don't worry about Kindred, I read it recently (I'm planning to make a review of it later) and it wasn't as emotionally draining as I thought it would be. Terrible things happen to the main characters. Slavery is shown realistically, but there's nothing so gruesome that you can't keep on reading. By that I don't mean that the way black people are treated in the book wasn't horrific, disgusting and disheatening, it was. I just mean that there's nothing so extreme that you'll break Inside while reading and you'll start crying for at least 10 minutes. There are many things that will make you sad, angry and revolted, though.

    I guess in a way Kindred explore a moral and spiritual death rather than a physical one. I don't know if you get what I mean, but in any case, I seriously recommend Kindred to you. It's an amazing book. It's not too long, and easy to read. The story it tells is sad but captivating. There's also a few twists that I personally hadn't expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Carla. When I'm depressed I'm more sensitive than most people, so I'll make sure to read it when I'm a bit more upbeat! Then again, it doesn't take much to make me depressed these days so maybe I should just....... wait.

      There so many highly praised books I've been meaning to get round to! And I don't want next summer to come around and I've still got the same list, so I'll try and get round to it soon. Thanks for your comment!!

      P.S. - those autographed books, because I bought them at the fantasy event to support the bookstores, cost me between £80-95 in the space of two days. I'm happy, yes, but never again. e_e

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts