Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Tuesday, 24 June 2014

3 Fantasy Fan Goals To Achieve On HOLIDAY =]


I'm very excited to say that, for the first time I was probably about 7, I'm going on a non-Europe non-school-related holiday! I'm really looking forward to it for three main reasons;


One - Books

Those who've been following the blog are aware that I've been making a big effort to catch up on my fantasy reading, and what better opportunity to do that than seven days in Cyprus?

I was going to take two hefty books, then my sister reminded me that we'd be on the beach all day doing jack-all, and recommended four. In an average week, I can finish one weighty fantasy book, provided I read for several hours every single day and neglect house chores. Smaller books, I could read two, or if I pushed myself and also ate and slept less, three books. So four seemed reasonable to me, until I remembered that there would also be the long flight to and from, which will probably include much waiting and idleness, so I thought, unless those four books were the Lord Of The Rings plus The Hobbit, I'd be better of taking SIX books.

After the one required fantasy novel for this challenge, I could read pretty much anything else. Which is awesome because my reading list is getting RIDICULOUS.

Nominees:
Fantasy, ... can I pass this one?
Sci-Fi, Defenders or The Fifteen Lives Of Harry August if possible.
Non-Fic books, either the mythology one I bought from Mind Body Spirit 2014 to help with my book, or Ruby Wax's Sane New World. Or Mindfulness.
Literary Fiction, Mother Mother by Koren Zailckas or A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing. Actually bar the last one - Life After Life, Kate Atkinson.
I also really want to take The Girl With All The Gifts, but I don't want to carry a hardback.

Winners(! Congratulations, you win a holiday with me.):
A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N. K. Jemisin [F]
The Name Of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss [F]
The Lies Of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch [F]
Defenders - Will McIntosh [SF]
Sane New World - Ruby Wax [NF]



Image: Adventure Temples - Jordan

Two - Inspiration

Some of the best sources of inspiration for fantasy novels is experiencing other cultures that already exist. It's such a helpful and reliable basis, because you work so closely with facts that it lends realism to the fantasy culture(s) you create. Although some aspects of outsider cultures seem very strange and in some case like walking into another universe, of course very normal to the residents there. Therefore, being able to tune into both sides of that feeling can really help to bring a fantasy culture to life, acknowledging both that this fantasy world is believable while accepting that the reader is only getting a window in.



Three - Writer's Retreat!

A week of SERIOUS POWER WRITING!

I'm not taking anything I don't need with me - so bye bye laptop - but lately I've been writing a lot in my old notebooks (weeell, on scraps of paper when the scenes form). I'm really looking forward to sunny days crafting and solidifying scenes of my book. I'm so very nearly there, maybe a week away will give me the time and space and peace of mind that I need.

Writing thirty minutes a day is good for keeping momentum. But I think it's important to take a chunk of time out to write intensely, and let your mind be immersed fully in the work, because for me personally, it improves the quality of the work.



Ashana Lian .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts