Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Friday, 7 March 2014

World Book Day: 6th March 2014


Personal update.

  • Fiction Fridays: Postponed a few weeks while I get my life in order.
  • Expected Post Days: Tuesday and Thursday, as it currently stands.

Long story short, I am falling apart a little bit. I am struggling not only with university work or this blog, but with things at home, the writing of my book, the business my Mum and I are investing in, and also my general health and peace of mind. I can't really function properly right now. As a result, post days are gonna be shorter and less frequent for a while to give me breathing space.

Hopefully I will soon be able to post my new oneshot venture Rainbow City.


World Book Day was yesterday.

What does that mean? Er... go out and buy a book.

What does that mean for kids? They'll probably dress up like their favourite characters. Also schools give kids a voucher to get a free WBD book from their nearest bookshop. The lineup is on the website.

What does that mean for us fantasy fans? Not much really, only an investigation into how much of these books are fantasy, or perhaps how much are a fantasy subgenre under the Children's or YA bracket. Well, let's take a look at this years £1 book lineup. It contains one children's fantasy book - The Worst Witch, by Jill Murphy. I used to watch the series as a kid and I remember enjoying it, so I'm content with this.


The 2014 Lineup (Also on the website)


They also have a section called the Writes Of Passage which includes 50 books that will 'change your life'. It includes classics such as Anne Frank's The Diary Of A Young Girl, Orwell's 1984, Wuthering Heights and so on. It also includes some of the more recent crazes like Twilight, Divergent, The Hunger Games, The Book Thief (didn't the movie just come out?), the list goes on.

It's hard to say how much I agree with this list, but that's not my job here today. My job is to locate the fantasy books only. I'm guessing this list was put together with votes from people from every walk of life and varying book tastes. It would be interesting to see what fantasy books crop up and what the general public are familiar with.


Located:
Fantasy
The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkein
The Life of Pi - Yann Martel (I had to look this up to be sure. I've seen it classed as a 'fantasy adventure'. *shrug* whatever, I'm down with that.)

Children's Fantasy
Harry Potter - J K Rowling *
Percy Jackson - Rick Riordan
Northern Lights - Philip Pullman *

Young Adult Fantasy
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins *
Divergent - Veronica Roth
Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy
Gone - Michael Grant
Lord Loss - Darren Shan (I think is actually classes as teenage. Some would class this as horror. I class it as horror and fantasy, as magic is used in the story.) *

Science Fiction (might as well.)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams.
1984 - George Orwell
The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger


(If I've missed some, let me know.)



[ * ] A lot of the books that I've read from this list haven't changed my life. As a child, Lord Loss, Harry Potter, Northern Lights, and The Hunger Games (well, not as a child for this one) all took me on an extreme emotional rollercoaster and profoundly changed the way I thought about fantasy, magic, and storytelling. These are the only ones I could say 'changed my life'. I didn't even like 1984, and the disappointment was deeper than usual because I expected to.

Only two of this 50-title list, that I can tell, are actually Fantasy. And Life Of Pi hasn't really got the element of the Fantastic that we expect in a fantasy.

So, why is this important?

Because the people who read these books are the general public, and if I succeed at being a writer, they will probably be my audience. They liked these books for a reason. But each book seems to have its own formula for popularity, so all I can do is tell the story I need to tell, in the most gripping and enchanting way that I can.



Ashana Lian .

1 comment:

  1. Hello lovely, I just came across your blog and it's awesome! :)

    I'm your newest follower and look forward to your next post!

    I'm currently running a competition on my blog to win a statement necklace, please check it out! :)

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts