Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Conventions In London For The Fantasy Fan..?

Note.
This was meant to be my Thursday post, but to be honest after all the little things that happened today, I'm simply exhausted. Even more so as I just posted on my other two blogs as well; I had to gather as much of my brains as possible to post on my style blog, then finish and brush up a long draft post on my personal blog and post that too. To think that I was going to post a chapter of my online stories. Ha! Laughable!

So instead of putting an interesting fantasy concept under the microscope, I'm doing a much simpler post today. Sorry dudes and dees. I bailed out.


MCM Comic Con London. Not my image.


I don't think this blog had been created when I went to my first comic convention. It was MCM Comic Con London 2013 and (dare I say it =/ ) it was a disappointment to me. On the one hand, I loved the vibe there. I loved that we were all there for the same reason: our love of the Fantastic. Our love of cosplaying and fandoms and stuff. O_O But after I got over the wonder of that, nothing really made me go 'wow'. I'd seen it all before - online or in little shops hidden in China Town like Forbidden Planet. The only really cool thing was to get them all in one place. But I got bored after an hour. It didn't help that I was already exhausted from three hours of queuing. Hahaha, I dunno how I got so tired from standing and sitting but there you go!

But I'm not giving up yet; if I go back this year, two fundamental things have to change: A. I MUST cosplay (just for the experience), and B. I MUST get an early bird ticket.

The two things that took the most fun out of it was that I went as a muggle civilian (e_e) and after all the queueing it was too packed to move inside the venue. I think it would also help to coerce more friends into going. The more the merrier, and all that ._. until you got about 8 people, then it doesn't get merrier, it gets dismal.

SO, I may not be back at MCM this year. But that got me thinking about other conventions in London where I can find the Fantastic. It's a sorry-looking list, but I'm sure more will come to me as I do more research, and if anyone is kind enough to suggest one I've missed, that would be EPIC.





MCM Comic Con
(Next expo: 23-25 May 2014, Excel London. www.mcmcomiccon.com/london/)
Well... you heard me bitch about it for like three paragraphs, there's really nothing more to be said (lmao. seriously.) From what I can tell, it seems to be more popular than the others. More people I know generally know about it. (I suppose that's why it was f*&%!*#! packed. (e_e) Man, it still gets me...)



London Super Comic Con
(Next expo: 15 & 16 March 2014, Excel Centre London. http://www.londonsupercomicconvention.com)
Hey heeey! I'm looking forward to this one! Even though I generally love fantasy, when I narrow that down to comics I realise my knowledge is pretty limited, but I'm sure I'll get by. (I'll watch some Grace Randolf videos before I go or somethin'.) It was be great to expand my knowledge in this field and I'll just have to do my best not to buy memorabilia. It's bizarrely addictive.
My friends don't seem to have heard of this. I'm still dragging them to it though.




Nine Worlds GeekFest
(Next expo: 8-10 August 2014, Radisson Hotel and Renaissance Hotel, London Heathrow https://nineworlds.co.uk)
Nine Worlds will take place in London, UK, 8-10 August 2014. It’s about gaming, film, cosplay, fandom, literature, science, geek culture, meeting people and having a really big party.
That perked my interest! It seems like it would be a lot of fun as there's a TON of stuff to do, although it does also seem very... iono, 'exclusive'. It's notably more expensive than other Cons, but I think if I saved up for it and could get somebody else along with me, it would be worth it.
I also want to share this from the website:
So, you might be wondering, what's this 'Nine Worlds' thing people are talking about? Well, we're a group of sci-fi convention fans putting together a weekend-long, multi-genre, residential GeekFest in London next summer, on August 9th-11th. We've named it Nine Worlds GeekFest. The idea behind Nine Worlds is to create a large fan-run multi-genre geek event in London. For years we've been going to huge US sci-fi cons like Dragon*Con and GenCon and SDCC, and we got to wondering why nothing like that exists in the UK. France can drum up over 20,000 sci-fi fans for Utopiales, even Finland can find 15,000 fans for FinnCon. But when it comes to large fan-driven residential multi-genre sci-fi cons in the UK, pickings are pretty slim.
That said, we're not really a sci-fi con either; we're more than that. We started off self-defining as a sci-fi con because there aren't really any other models (or words) for what we're trying to create. But we always intended to be inclusive of all kinds of things from board games to costumes to Doctor Who fandom to skeptics. As we're been developing the project, the label Sci-Fi Con has been fitting less and less well, and eventually, we decided that GeekFest is a better description. And while there'll be lots of sci-fi/fantasy TV/film & lit stuff going on at Nine Worlds, there'll be even more other stuff like science and creative writing and film making, that have no direct link to sci-fi (other than a degree of overlap in fan bases).
Read the full thing HERE.
It was interesting how they made the comparison between UK Cons and Cons in other parts of the world, particularly the US which looks a lot more intense than the UK counterparts. Oh well. I'm glad we at least have one Con available for the fantasy and sci-fi fans, let alone all of these.



Loncon 3
(Next expo: 14-18 August 2014, Excel London, http://www.loncon3.org)
I also came across the name World Science Fiction Convention (“Worldcon”) This one seems different to the others; it seems more modest and I get the feeling that it's gonna focus a lot more on science-fiction and fantasy that spawned from the city of London. Which would be interesting.



Hyper Japan
(Next expo: 25-27 July 2014, Earls Court, London http://hyperjapan.co.uk)
I went to this last year and I LOVED it. I wouldn't exactly call it a convention, it's more of a festival of Japanese culture. But as it's Japan from which came anime, manga, many video games, and so many other overlooked fantasy elements, that  it deserves place on this list.




London Film And Comic Con [Added 14/03/14]
(Next Expo: 11-13 July 2014, Earls Court 2, London http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com)
I can't believe I forgot this one. When I came across it two years ago I'd wanted to go, and last year I wanted to go even more! This year I simply CANNOT miss it. And it's in West London, so close! There is just no excuse. Apart from... okay NO! I will go.

 

That took a lot longer than I expected. But my excitement about these upcoming expos kept me going. When I get the chance, I'm going to do more research. There might be more I've missed!



Ashana Lian .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts