Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Thursday, 14 November 2013

On My Bookshelf

It's Thursday again, and my progress with Out Of The Dust, *sigh*
(now possibly to be called If She Dies, Seven Empires Fall) is so pitiful that I won't even go there. This week was bizarre, instead of my mental state gradually getting better or worse, it took leaps and dives, meaning that last weekend - breakdown, Monday - elated, Tuesday - disturbed, fearful, the shakes, Wednesday - exhausted, depressed, thinking about my future etc.

The ups and downs were a bit concerning because my family are quite certain that my older brother has bipolar disorder. At times, he's furious and wants to destroy everything, other times, he's walking on air, positive, motivating, refusing to hear ANYTHING negative, it goes on and on and on.

So I'm keeping an eye on it.

For now, no Out Of The Dust. I feel so depressed about it, I don't even want to think about it, the same thing that lifted my spirits and gave me a reason to live last summer. Karalan still talks to me though. She's getting a bit pissed off and angry. I'm trying not to let the forcefulness of her character escalate. Now.

ON MY BOOKSHELF!! ^_^

...issss... too many books. But to name a few. =P


My favourite book ever...?
Magician, Raymond E. Feist.
It's quite unwieldy, like, we're talkin' bigger than the first Game Of Thrones book. The thing is pretty huge, with small print, but its INCREDIBLE. My sister pulls her pained face when she looks at it but every time I think about reading it again, I get SO excited you have no idea. I'll get stuck in and barely do much else until I finish it four days later.


My favourite series ever...?
The Demonata Series - Darren Shan.
First thing that springs to mind. I've read it a heck of a lot of times. It is a kids book and it's also written in present tense which is weird, but I don't care, it's amazing - the description, the characters, the magic, everything fits together until... the last book. Then, I'm no longer convinced. It's feels so dramatic that it's... kind of... unthinkable!


My favourite manga series ever...?
Immortal Rain by Kaori Ozaki.
I love this sooo much, I made a whole lost post about it on my other blog, so I won't do that again. Although I COULD c: It's fantastic. It's got adventure, magic, romance, monsters, tragedy, suspense, and the best part, it ENDS. It doesn't go on for ever and ever, so the story comes to a close in a way that makes sense. I keeps saying I'm gonna read Naruto, but 70+ volumes...?! One at a time, I know. But it's hard to find time to squeeze in one!


My favourite non-fiction book...?
How To Be A Woman - Caitlin Moran.
I think I have a lot of non-fic books that I love, spiritual or dieting or otherwise (James Duigan's Clean and Lean Diet is greeeeat) but this book touches on so many subjects that I think about a lot, to do with the way women are and how we should behave, and things that are confusing, and it's great to get someone else's view on it. I really like her narrative voice but it's a bit touchy because I know that, for example, my eldest sister isn't into certain types of humour. She'd find the book interesting though. She's so picky. About everything. *sigh*


Guilty Pleasures book...?
Admittedly, I do have one: Confessions Of A Backup Dancer - Anonymous, as told to Tucker Shaw. Or Something.
I don't really know why this is guilty pleasures and the others aren't because most are kids books, and such great stories that I don't even feel guilty! But anywhoo...

It seems right because at the time I was dancing, so I was like '!' =D Think about all the American high school teen movies you've ever seen and pick out that one stereotype that everybody knows. The protagonist of the books seems very much that stereotype, from the way she speaks to the way she behaves. But something about the book, also it's quite... I don't know, almost over the top? But I'm not sure if Darcy's character makes it so. Its is very teen-like if you get me, like she's always talking about her hair, the BIGGEST worry in Kelly Kimball's life is her bleedin' hair, almost childish. Well, you know, compared to Game Of Thrones which is pretty dark... (hey, I just realised that the series didn't make my list!! G.O.T. is very good though. Although lots of bits made me squirm. Gee, GRRM.) But I still love it. It makes me feel so lighthearted and lots of parts are so funny, and so cringy, but I really like that at the end you get that sense of satisfaction that things went exactly how it should.

(Unlike many of the other books I read which leave you feeling uneasy. Even what I am writing, Out Of The Dust - it's up to the reader to decide whether it was a 'happy' ending or not as my aim is to be ambiguous. I personally think it is, but my idea of 'happy' right now is not exactly the standard...)



That's cheered me up a bit. I'll leave it there for now. Next Thursday, I swear, I would've got my shit together. PROMISE.

AUTHOR'S HONOUR



Ashana Lian .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts